Wiki Z34.- vs Z36.-

caquay

Contributor
Best answers
Can someone please provide me with some more information regarding the use of Z34.- (Encounter for supervision of normal pregnancy) versus the use of Z36.- (Encounter for antenatal screening of mother), and when it would be appropriate to assign on versus the other?
I cannot seem to find anything that is really helping me define the difference.

Thank you in advance!

Chelsea Quay, CPC, CEMC

Z36
Antenatal screening of the mother is done to help identify potential increased risks to the fetus' or mother's health prenatally. This code is used when the purpose of the visit is solely to conduct the screening test. Fetal conditions that are already suspected and looked for, but ruled out, are reported to subcategory Z03.7-.

Z34
A pregnancy can only be considered 'normal' when there is no problem or condition present that complicates the maternal state. When such a condition is present, the appropriate code(s) are reported from the pregnancy, childbirth, and puerperium chapter.

So if you are seeing the mother for care of the pregnancy or ante-partum then you would code Z34. If the reason for the visits is only for screening test then you would use Z36.