Wiki Z51.11 Encounter for chemotherapy

Love Coding!

Expert
Best answers
Good morning, I am reaching out to my fellow coders on their interpretation of the word "solely" in this code description. I work in pediatrics and the providers will see the patients prior to their chemotherapy (going over test results and other things). Where I am hung up on is the Reason For Visit will be: Follow up for chemo. The HPI will also read patient here to receive cycle X chemotherapy...My question is would Z51.11 be appropriate to use as the primary code regardless if the provider is reviewing other areas of the current medical history with the patient? No use to copy and paste the guidelines regarding this I have already referenced them.

Patient admission/encounter solely for administration of chemotherapy, immunotherapy and radiation therapy

If a patient admission/encounter is solely for the administration of chemotherapy, immunotherapy or external beam radiation therapy assign code Z51.0, Encounter for antineoplastic radiation therapy, or Z51.11, Encounter for antineoplastic chemotherapy, or Z51.12, Encounter for antineoplastic immunotherapy as the first-listed or principal diagnosis. The malignancy for which the therapy is being administered should be assigned as a secondary diagnosis