Wiki Z51.11/Z51.12 question

trarut

True Blue
Best answers
I'm having a debate with a fellow coder of the use of Z51.11 & Z51.12 on days that a patient has an office visit and chemotherapy/immunotherapy treatment. I have always reported the applicable Z code with the treatment charges - I don't attach it to the E/M service. My coworker only reports the Z codes on treatments if no office visit takes place that day. How do you report the Z51.11 and Z51.12 codes?

I have only been coding oncology for a year and a half and have a lot of questions myself. Just to give you feedback, I always report the Z codes w/ the treatment charges as well. I did question if it should be attached to the E/M service, my supervisor said it should and I do, but I'm still now certain.

In the past, I have not used Z51.x on the E/M on treatment days simply because I felt it was telling the insurance it was the reason for the E/M service - which it isn't. However, I have always reported it on the treatments even with an E/M on the same day until now.

And good luck in Oncology, crowland :) I've worked in this specialty for 20 years now doing billing, coding and precert and it's never boring!