Wiki Z79.4..z79.84..

JKRemmers

Best answers
opinions please... Senior coders in my facility have said that we need to add the Z code for oral med and for insulin use in ALL patients diagnosed with E (diabetes) series codes.
I see in the October Primary Care Coding newsletter where it states only if diabetes is a secondary diagnosis, i.e. caused by adverse drug effect, pulmonary fibrosis, etc. And then if the patient is on both oral and insulin, only code the insulin.
Any clarification out there? I have been adding Z79.84 for oral, Z79.4 for insulin, Z79.899 for other injectable-non insulin. Thanks in advance! Jeanette Remmers--coder in a FQHC clinic

you should check the 2018 coding guidelines.. they state that if the patient is controlled by both oral and insulin, you code only the insulin. This was not restricted to secondary diabetes.

Thanks Debra!
btw, are scheduled for any trainings in Minnesota this spring/summer? Caught one last year, and you are amazing!

Thank You for the compliment! I am not seeing anything for that area in the short run, I have Oklahoma area in March, Florida in April, Upstate New York/Vermont in May and Nashville/Atlanta area in June. That is all I know for now. Maybe look in July and August, I will have 2019 ICD-10 updates for those classes. Check back with me if you wish and I will let you know what I have coming up!