Wiki Z94.0 or Z90.5

kerenorozco

Contributor
Best answers
My Dr. has a pt that donated a kidney- he is coding Z94.0 which reads (Kidney Transplant status) - now pt is not on transplant or the note does not say otherwise isn't it correct to change it to Z90.5 (Acquired absence of kidney)- since pt donated the kidney?
Thank you

My Dr. has a pt that donated a kidney- he is coding Z94.0 which reads (Kidney Transplant status) - now pt is not on transplant or the note does not say otherwise isn't it correct to change it to Z90.5 (Acquired absence of kidney)- since pt donated the kidney?
Thank you

Z94.0 is stating that the patient was a kidney transplant recipient. Per the ICD-10-CM book, the Z94 category includes organ or tissue replaced by heterogenous or homogenous transplant.

Also, keep in mind that transplant codes risk adjust - using a transplant code inappropriately could affect the provider on an audit.

I agree with you that Acquired Absence of Kidney would be more accurate in this circumstance. Per the ICD-10-CM book, the Z90 category includes postprocedural or post-traumatic loss of body part.