Wiki Z98.0 Intestinal bypass and anastomosis status

acf7575

Networker
Best answers
I am inquiring if code Z98.0 (Intestinal bypass and anastomosis status) is correct for a patient with ileocolic anastomosis status from a right partial colectomy. It is not really a bypass, but is an anastomosis status. I have used it for this scenario, but for some reason today question it.

I am inquiring if code Z98.0 (Intestinal bypass and anastomosis status) is correct for a patient with ileocolic anastomosis status from a right partial colectomy. It is not really a bypass, but is an anastomosis status. I have used it for this scenario, but for some reason today question it.

I'll preface this by saying that that GI is not my area of expertise.

In the alphabetic index, under "Presence (of)" the listing says Intestinal bypass or anastomosis. That would indicate to me that Z98.0 can be used for anastomosis status, even in absence of intestinal bypass.

Because the word "or" is included in the alphabetic index, I'd be comfortable using Z98.0 for the anastomosis status.

(Of course they could make it easier on everyone and include the "or" instead of the "and" with the code description, but where's the fun in that?) :)

I'll preface this by saying that that GI is not my area of expertise.

In the alphabetic index, under "Presence (of)" the listing says Intestinal bypass or anastomosis. That would indicate to me that Z98.0 can be used for anastomosis status, even in absence of intestinal bypass.

Because the word "or" is included in the alphabetic index, I'd be comfortable using Z98.0 for the anastomosis status.

(Of course they could make it easier on everyone and include the "or" instead of the "and" with the code description, but where's the fun in that?) :)
Would Z90.49 (Acquired absence of other specified parts of digestive tract) also be applicable, or does the Z98.0 cover there is missing intestine? It could be a side to side anastomosis to go around a blockage vs resected intestine. So I think the Z90.49 could also be used as well. Do you agree?