Wiki Ziptight device for stabilization

mindyanna

Networker
Best answers
My physician is doing an ulnocarpal stabilzation via a ZipTight device. Has anyone else had their physician's use this and if so, what code do you use to represent it? I thought about using 25337 but the description really doesn't match what he does. Here is the op note:

On the carpal surface on the ulnar border of the hand, a 1.5 mm wire was inserted onto the carpus and driven through the carpus and through the cartilaginous end of the ulna. This was confirmed under fluoroscopy. The wire was then driven through the soft tissue side on the radial side. A small stab incision was created over both aspects of the wire. A 3.2 mm drill bit was then obtained and the wire was over-drilled. The drill was taken through to the radial side of the wrist very carefully. At this point, the wire was withdrawn and the Beeth needle to the Biomet ZipTight device was placed into the cannulated drill and the drill was pulled back through to the ulnar side, bringing the Beeth needle with it going through the tunnel created for the ZipTight device. The toggle on the carpal side was then engaged. The washer on the head of the ulna was then tightened and the ulnar carpal joint was stabilized with tensioning of the ZipTight device in an excellent fashion. With the tensioning completed, each side was tied over, cut short, and the 2 small stab incisions were closed with 3-0 Vicryl and 4-0 Monocryl.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

25337 is for 2ndry repair and 25320 is for primary repair; the Coding Companion does state for 25320 'by any method'. So depending on the surgery being the initial repair or 2ndry repair I would agree with these codes.