Wiki Z39.0

Best answers
Is this code for professional claims only or is it required for inpatient hospitals to bill a delivery that occurred outside of the hospital without complications?

Hi, not quite sure I understand what you're asking. If a delivery occurred outside of the hospital, then a delivery would not be billed, but Z39.0 could be used on any E+M services provided.

A question was presented to me regarding inpatient hospital billing for a delivery that occurred outside of the hospital. Since the hospital cannot bill for the delivery, are they required to code the Z39.0 to reflect that the delivery occurred outside of the hospital? Is this z code only used for professional billing on E & M codes? What would the inpatient coding look like for this type of delivery if the mom and baby are admitted after birth for care? Sorry....OB is not my strong suit. :)

Well Z39.0 in and of itself doesn't specifically have anything to do with whether the delivery was in hospital or out of hospital. There is no requirement per se to use it, as far as I am aware. Typically the patient would be admitted and stay 1-2 nights if there were no complications, so you would have those E+Ms (admit, subsequent and discharge). There could also be laceration repair, or delivery of the placenta if it hadn't delivered by the time they arrived.

The ICD book reads Z39.0 "Care and observation in uncomplicated cases when the delivery occurs outside a healthcare facility."
Guidelines - When the mother delivers outside of the hospital prior to admission and is admitted for routine postpartum care and no complications are noted, code Z39.0. Encounter for care and examination of mother immediately after delivery, should be assigned as the principal diagnosis. So, do you think this can only be coded on professional claims or can this be used on hospital coding to reflect care of a postpartum patient that didn't deliver in their facility? So sorry for all of the questions.

The ICD book reads Z39.0 "Care and observation in uncomplicated cases when the delivery occurs outside a healthcare facility."
Guidelines - When the mother delivers outside of the hospital prior to admission and is admitted for routine postpartum care and no complications are noted, code Z39.0. Encounter for care and examination of mother immediately after delivery, should be assigned as the principal diagnosis. So, do you think this can only be coded on professional claims or can this be used on hospital coding to reflect care of a postpartum patient that didn't deliver in their facility? So sorry for all of the questions.
Yes, you would use it in that situation but it is not limited to that situation.
https://www.aapc.com/codes/coding-n...o-report-for-pp-hospital-visit-171442-article

I don't know what you would use it for on the facility side..