• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ & read the forum rules. To view all forums, post or create a new thread, you must be an AAPC Member. If you are a member and have already registered for member area and forum access, you can log in by clicking here. If you've forgotten your username or password use our password reminder tool. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below..
  • Important Note: We will be performing a scheduled maintenance on 1st November 2020. The site will be offline from 7:30PM (MT) till midnight. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

10060 vs. 10061

Leanne

Networker
Best answers
Does 10061 refer to I&D of multiple abscesses in the same area? Patient has left upper arm abscess and lower abdominal abscess...both I&D down to subcutaneous tissue. Should I bill 10061 once to cover both I&D or use 10060 twice w/ mod 51? :confused:

Thanks!

Best answers

There is no area of the body specified with the I&D codes. Two abscesses are coded using 10061 even if they are on completely different parts of the body.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CPC-E/M

kaviarasu

New
Best answers
kavi

hi all, as a doctor , i cant accept, for eg if i am doing incision & driange for pt who had abcess on face , abdomen, lowe leg, upper arm, right hand , two abcess on left hand.

do i need to give only 10061.

if i do so i will be wasting my time and money right .

so please suggest me for correct coding .

thanks & regards

kavi cpc

rthames052006

True Blue
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
hi all, as a doctor , i cant accept, for eg if i am doing incision & driange for pt who had abcess on face , abdomen, lowe leg, upper arm, right hand , two abcess on left hand.

do i need to give only 10061.

if i do so i will be wasting my time and money right .

so please suggest me for correct coding .

thanks & regards

kavi cpc
You'd definately want to use 10061 which states:

Incision and drainage of abscess ( eg, carbuncle, suppurative hidradenitis, cutaneous or subcutaneous abscess, cyst, furuncle, or paronychia); complicated or multiple.

Hope this helps you.