150+ job applications, still no luck. Feeling very disheartened.

Best answers
Basically as the title says. I got my CPC-A December 5th, 2022, and I have had absolutely no luck in finding a job at all. I've applied to over 150 jobs at this point and I'm feeling very defeated. Any advice from people who have been in my position?

sls314

True Blue
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
Basically as the title says. I got my CPC-A December 5th, 2022, and I have had absolutely no luck in finding a job at all. I've applied to over 150 jobs at this point and I'm feeling very defeated. Any advice from people who have been in my position?

Remember that December is usually a slow period for hiring due to the holidays and people having time off. Are you getting rejections or just not hearing anything back yet?

If you've already received rejections, I'd encourage you to have your resume reviewed. Make sure you're putting your best foot forward on the applications.

What kinds of jobs are you applying to?

TThivierge

Expert
Best answers
Hi BStarQueen:)
Try to find out who the coding manager at each hospital or medical center or urgent care or insurance company where you live at . Then send them an email or direct letter with your resume explaining ready to be hired, Etc. Sometimes it is slow depends on Human Resources Dept. or their current budget. Try to send a message to Linked In professionals too. Find out the closest AAPC meetings in your area then attend & network. Next if that does not work...try get billing job then work into coding department later. One more tip go the Human Resouces Dept where you like to work dressed properly with resume and online application in hand. I did that 2 times to get a medical coding job. Also if get interview send thank you card later. (y)
Good Luck!
Lady T

amyjph

True Blue
Best answers
Wanted to add you also may have to be open to taking a different role from a coding position to get your "foot in the door". This might mean working in another role in the revenue cycle, medical records, patient access, scheduling, pre-auth, etc. All of these roles benefit from someone understanding coding (CPC) and medical terminology.

Best answers
Are you still looking for the job? If so please send me your resume to indu.prabhu10607@gmail.com. Thanks

Best answers
Hello!
I am in the same position, I have secured my CPC-A in November and cannot seem to get hired anywhere. I have over 6 years of healthcare experience and took a course through a university for coding and was told I can use that as 1 year of "experience". I've tweaked my resume as well as had it reviewed, I've emailed/called the applied places that provide the information. Still no leads for a coding position and I've applied to over 100 different businesses as well. I do understand I am still an apprentice, but I am a hard worker and excited to change my career and do something different. Trying to stay hopeful and positive but the rejections can be very discouraging. Keep pushing forward!

sls314

True Blue
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
Hello!
I am in the same position, I have secured my CPC-A in November and cannot seem to get hired anywhere. I have over 6 years of healthcare experience and took a course through a university for coding and was told I can use that as 1 year of "experience". I've tweaked my resume as well as had it reviewed, I've emailed/called the applied places that provide the information. Still no leads for a coding position and I've applied to over 100 different businesses as well. I do understand I am still an apprentice, but I am a hard worker and excited to change my career and do something different. Trying to stay hopeful and positive but the rejections can be very discouraging. Keep pushing forward!

Your education should count as 1 year towards the 2 year Apprentice removal requirement. (More on that here: https://www.aapc.com/apprentice/applied-experience.aspx )

Job applications are something separate. Each individual employer will decide whether they want hands-on experience, education, passing a pre-employment test, or some combination of the above.

You mentioned having 6 years of healthcare experience - what type of experience do you have? Perhaps you could count some portion of that towards the other year for your Apprentice removal. (1 year education + 1 year relevant experience = 2 year requirement for Apprentice removal)

What types of positions have you been applying for? Are you able to at least train in office or are you looking for a fully remote position?

One additional thing to remember is that hiring traditionally slows down over the holidays, due to decision makers sometimes being out of office. With starting to apply in November. there was some overlap with that period as well. It's possible that listings and responses will start picking back up now that it is January.

Are you on LinkedIn? Many recruiters post listings on LinkedIn and also in coding related Facebook groups. I'd keep an eye out for those listings - many times recruiters will specifically state if a job is CPC-A eligible.

Good luck on your search!

Best answers
Your education should count as 1 year towards the 2 year Apprentice removal requirement. (More on that here: https://www.aapc.com/apprentice/applied-experience.aspx )

Job applications are something separate. Each individual employer will decide whether they want hands-on experience, education, passing a pre-employment test, or some combination of the above.

You mentioned having 6 years of healthcare experience - what type of experience do you have? Perhaps you could count some portion of that towards the other year for your Apprentice removal. (1 year education + 1 year relevant experience = 2 year requirement for Apprentice removal)

What types of positions have you been applying for? Are you able to at least train in office or are you looking for a fully remote position?

One additional thing to remember is that hiring traditionally slows down over the holidays, due to decision makers sometimes being out of office. With starting to apply in November. there was some overlap with that period as well. It's possible that listings and responses will start picking back up now that it is January.

Are you on LinkedIn? Many recruiters post listings on LinkedIn and also in coding related Facebook groups. I'd keep an eye out for those listings - many times recruiters will specifically state if a job is CPC-A eligible.

Good luck on your search!
I was a medical assistant for 6 years under an internal medicine physician. There were only two of us medical assistants in the office and because of that I was somewhat being trained to take on some coding for the office. I did add this information on my resume as well as my cover letter according to each employer. The goal is to be fully remote, but I have applied for all coding positions, whether that be on-site or remote and even billing positions to at the very least get some of the experience to help build my resume. I do know they want that experience though. I am on LinkedIn, ziprecruiter, and Indeed. I am also planning on obtaining more certifications in the near future. I am working hard and trying to advocate as best I can for myself, I really appreciate the feedback!

sls314

True Blue
Local Chapter Officer
Best answers
I was a medical assistant for 6 years under an internal medicine physician. There were only two of us medical assistants in the office and because of that I was somewhat being trained to take on some coding for the office. I did add this information on my resume as well as my cover letter according to each employer. The goal is to be fully remote, but I have applied for all coding positions, whether that be on-site or remote and even billing positions to at the very least get some of the experience to help build my resume. I do know they want that experience though. I am on LinkedIn, ziprecruiter, and Indeed. I am also planning on obtaining more certifications in the near future. I am working hard and trying to advocate as best I can for myself, I really appreciate the feedback!

For what it's worth, my boss loves hiring coders who used to be MAs. She started as an MA herself.

I work in Ohio and all of our positions are in person, but hopefully that at least gives you some encouragement that you may find a like-minded hiring manager in your area!

amyjph

True Blue
Best answers
For what it's worth, my boss loves hiring coders who used to be MAs. She started as an MA herself.

I work in Ohio and all of our positions are in person, but hopefully that at least gives you some encouragement that you may find a like-minded hiring manager in your area!
Agree, in my experience (myself included and hiring/working with others) those with clinical backgrounds and experience in direct clinical care *generally* make better coders.

Cmama12

Guru
Best answers
If you are only applying for remote work, also keep in mind that because all states have different regulations, some employers can't/won't hire from certain states. Eg, our company's remote policy states Due to complex requirements, remote work is not permitted in: CA, HI, ND, NJ, NY, OR, WA.

Best answers
Wanted to add you also may have to be open to taking a different role from a coding position to get your "foot in the door". This might mean working in another role in the revenue cycle, medical records, patient access, scheduling, pre-auth, etc. All of these roles benefit from someone understanding coding (CPC) and medical terminology.
I already have 3+ years in the healthcare field, mostly patient access, but I have about 9 months of experience in billing and insurance verification.