Wiki 20610 vs 27093

codedog

True Blue
Best answers
I work at an ASC , doc office books it as 27093 ,while I insist its 20610. IF i AM wrong then ,then I will man up and admit I am wrong , but if not what simple words can I explain to doc office that they are coding it wrong
here is operative report

POSTOPERATIVE DIAGNOSIS: Hip degenerative joint disease.
OPERATIONS: 1. Left intraarticular hip joint injection and aspiration. 2. Fluoroscopic needle guidance.
ANESTHESIA: 2% lidocaine 5 cc and sodium bicarbonate 8.4% 5 cc; monitored anesthesia care.
BLOOD LOSS: None.
FLUIDS GIVEN: 200 cc lactated Ringer's solution.
URINE OUTPUT: None.
INJECTATE MIXTURE: Preservative-free bupivacaine 0.5% 4 mL and Depo-Medrol 40 mg 1 mL.
PROCEDURE IN DETAIL:
Informed consent was obtained. Operative site was marked in the holding area. The patient was then taken to the procedure room and placed in a supine position on the table. Skin was prepped with ChloraPrep solution and draped in a sterile fashion. A time-out was performed.
Using fluoroscopy, the left hip was examined. Skin wheal was raised. Subcutaneous tissue was anesthetized with 2% lidocaine mixture. Using an anterolateral approach, 22 gauge 5-inch spinal needle was directed with intermittent fluoroscopic guidance into the joint capsule. Aspiration was significant for 6 cc of straw-colored fluid. The aspirate was placed in a sterile container and sent to Pathology for routine cytology.
3 cc of Isovue M200 contrast was then injected during the live fluoroscopy. Arthrogram confirmed correct needle placement. There was no vascular uptake noted. After negative aspiration, the injectate mixture was instilled through the needle. The needle was then removed from the skin.

Band-Aid was placed over the skin entry site. The patient was transferred to the recovery area, monitored for 30 minutes, then discharged after a normal neurologic exam. Postprocedure and discharge instructions were given to the patient. There were no apparent complications. The patient tolerated the procedure well.
PAIN BEFORE THE PROCEDURE: 9/10.
PAIN AFTER THE PROCEDURE: 0/10.
DISPOSITION: Discharged to home in stable condition. The patient is to return to the clinic in two weeks.

This Q and A below can be found on the AMA CPT Network, It mentions monitored anesthesia care as meeting "with anesthesia" descriptor.

KB #: 5038
Date: 03/05/2010

Anesthesia Guidelines

Anesthesia

Question

Do the phrases with anesthesia or requiring anesthesia in CPT code descriptors preclude the reporting of anesthesia codes?

Answer

It should be noted that there are certain CPT code descriptors in the CPT codebook that include the phrases "with anesthesia" or "requiring anesthesia." These phrases indicate that the work involved in performing that procedure requires anesthesia, whether it is general anesthesia, regional anesthesia, or monitored anesthesia care. The appropriate anesthesia code is reported separately. Moderate (conscious) sedation is not an anesthesia service.

But if you are searching the CPT Assistant archives you will find

April 2005 CPT Assistant "The code descriptors, which include the phrase “requiring anesthesia” or “under anesthesia,” indicate that the work involved in that specific procedure requires the use of general anesthesia; therefore, it would not be appropriate to report code 23700 if general anesthesia is not provided.Jan 1999 CPT Assistant "From a CPT coding perspective, codes having the descriptor “requiring anesthesia” mean requiring general anesthesia."

Is the physician also billing "73525 for the interpretation of the arthrogram."

I was reading thru the note to find the arthrogram description . The code says for hip arthrography, but the note sounds like it describes the steps in performing 27093/27095 but lacks a clear arthrogram report.

Below the part about "no other pathology identified" is what I think the note is potentially missing in documentation.

Below is from AAOS 2005 link
http://www2.aaos.org/aaos/archives/bulletin/oct05/coding.asp

Injection of the hip under fluoroscopic guidance

Before injecting steroids into the hip area, physicians often inject dye and perform an arthrogram to outline the joint and confirm that the needle location is in the joint capsule and no other pathology is identified. In this case it would be appropriate to report code 27093—Injection procedure for hip arthrography; without anesthesia—along with code 73525 for the interpretation of the arthrogram.

If a surgeon is just injecting the hip to confirm needle location and the intent is not an arthrogram, 76003 would be appropriate.

I work at an ASC , doc office books it as 27093 ,while I insist its 20610. IF i AM wrong then ,then I will man up and admit I am wrong , but if not what simple words can I explain to doc office that they are coding it wrong
here is operative report

POSTOPERATIVE DIAGNOSIS: Hip degenerative joint disease.
OPERATIONS: 1. Left intraarticular hip joint injection and aspiration. 2. Fluoroscopic needle guidance.
ANESTHESIA: 2% lidocaine 5 cc and sodium bicarbonate 8.4% 5 cc; monitored anesthesia care.
BLOOD LOSS: None.
FLUIDS GIVEN: 200 cc lactated Ringer's solution.
URINE OUTPUT: None.
INJECTATE MIXTURE: Preservative-free bupivacaine 0.5% 4 mL and Depo-Medrol 40 mg 1 mL.
PROCEDURE IN DETAIL:
Informed consent was obtained. Operative site was marked in the holding area. The patient was then taken to the procedure room and placed in a supine position on the table. Skin was prepped with ChloraPrep solution and draped in a sterile fashion. A time-out was performed.
Using fluoroscopy, the left hip was examined. Skin wheal was raised. Subcutaneous tissue was anesthetized with 2% lidocaine mixture. Using an anterolateral approach, 22 gauge 5-inch spinal needle was directed with intermittent fluoroscopic guidance into the joint capsule. Aspiration was significant for 6 cc of straw-colored fluid. The aspirate was placed in a sterile container and sent to Pathology for routine cytology.
3 cc of Isovue M200 contrast was then injected during the live fluoroscopy. Arthrogram confirmed correct needle placement. There was no vascular uptake noted. After negative aspiration, the injectate mixture was instilled through the needle. The needle was then removed from the skin.
Band-Aid was placed over the skin entry site. The patient was transferred to the recovery area, monitored for 30 minutes, then discharged after a normal neurologic exam. Postprocedure and discharge instructions were given to the patient. There were no apparent complications. The patient tolerated the procedure well.
PAIN BEFORE THE PROCEDURE: 9/10.
PAIN AFTER THE PROCEDURE: 0/10.
DISPOSITION: Discharged to home in stable condition. The patient is to return to the clinic in two weeks.

Trent, I agree with you. I would code this 20610/77002
All radiolographs are understood to be diagnostic unless otherwise specified; localization is not diagnostic so no "arthrogram" was performed. 76003 is not a valid code, 77003 is for spinal/paraspnial guidance.

HTH :)