Wiki 25 and/or 57 modifiers

rykin7609

Networker
Best answers
Question was brought up and we need clarification on these modifiers.

When a surgery AND a procedure are both done on the DOS or day before we would only need to append the modifier 57 to the E/M or H&P......or, do we nee dthe 57 for the surgery and a 59 for the procedure.

I have always used just modifier 57 for this scenario and never had a problem but someone working with me is thinking we need both.

Please shed some light on this question and explain why.

Thank you!

Question was brought up and we need clarification on these modifiers.

When a surgery AND a procedure are both done on the DOS or day before we would only need to append the modifier 57 to the E/M or H&P......or, do we nee dthe 57 for the surgery and a 59 for the procedure.

I have always used just modifier 57 for this scenario and never had a problem but someone working with me is thinking we need both.

Please shed some light on this question and explain why.

Thank you!

if a procedure is done the same day(separately identifiable from the E&M) and the decision for surgery is made(same day or following day) you would bill your E&M with 25 and 57.

Modifier 57 is for procedures with a global period of 90 days and is used for EM on the same day or day before the decision for surgery is made.

Modifier 25 is used for procedures with a 0 or 10 day global period and used for EM on the same day the procedure is performed, which needs to be separately identifiable from the procedure.