Wiki 29445 for diabetic foot ulcer

Contributor
Best answers
I have a physician who placed a patient in the full cast for her diabetic foot wound. From what I can find, this is not an appropriate billable diagnosis code. I am having a hard time finding the LCD and the billable diagnosis codes for this CPT. Can anyone point me in the right direction. He is an orthopedic surgeon and I am not familiar with "wound care".

Chances are the patient has type two diabetes. Your first diagnosis code is going to be E11.621. Underneath this code you will see that you will need to pair this with another code which will outline which side the ulcer is on, the specific part of the foot its on, and the tissue depth. Normally ulcerations are initially debrided of dead/necrotic tissue. The physician may leave the ulcer open, or depending on the size close it or cover it with a skin type of graft until it heals enough to be closed. Many patients go through several debridements before the wound is closed, or their foot is amputated. As far as diagnostic coding, this should get you started.