Wiki 78 OR 79 modifer

churst21

Networker
Best answers
if the patient came in on 6/10 and a 36870 done for a clot. came again on 6/28 and a 36870 done again. same graft another clot would i append a 78 or 79 modifier.

78 or 79?

Although modifier 78 is used for complications of a procedure, it is not limited to that use. In your case you have to say that the second procedure is being done as a result of the first one therefore it is related. In no way can you say it is unrelated, therefore 78 is appropriate. In simplistic terms, if they hadn't had the first procedure, they wouldn't need the second one.
We debate this issue at work all the time and there are valid(ish) arguments either way.
I say 78 in this case but I'm pretty sure there'll be plenty who disagree.

u sound just like me. i was saying 78 modifer but others would say 79 because its a different clot. i guess you can argue either way if u had to. but i just wanted to see if somebody else thought like me.

u sound just like me. i was saying 78 modifer but others would say 79 because its a different clot. i guess you can argue either way if u had to. but i just wanted to see if somebody else thought like me.

It doesn't matter that it's a different clot. It's still a complication of the original procedure and is definitely related.