87621 HPV male testing

lmorales

Contributor
Best answers
Hello, I have been trying to research if there is a specific diagnosis code that will cover 87621 HPV anal screening for males. I searched the lcd, aetna and bcbs guidelines and nada. :confused: If someboday can please share any information that can help, I will really really appreciate it.

Thank you, :)

Hello:

I found an LCD for my area regarding this code. I am NY the LCD ID # L29508. According to LCD the dx listed below demonstrate medical necessity.

Primary ICD-9 Codes: (If the test result is positive, one of the secondary diagnosis codes listed below should also be reported)
795.00 ABNORMAL GLANDULAR PAPANICOLAOU SMEAR OF CERVIX
795.01 PAPANICOLAOU SMEAR OF CERVIX WITH ATYPICAL SQUAMOUS CELLS OF UNDETERMINED SIGNIFICANCE (ASC-US)
795.02 PAPANICOLAOU SMEAR OF CERVIX WITH ATYPICAL SQUAMOUS CELLS CANNOT EXCLUDE HIGH GRADE SQUAMOUS INTRAEPITHELIAL LESION (ASC-H)
Secondary ICD-9 Codes: (indicating a positive test result)
795.05 CERVICAL HIGH RISK HUMAN PAPILLOMAVIRUS (HPV) DNA TEST POSITIVE
795.15 VAGINAL HIGH RISK HUMAN PAPILLOMAVIRUS (HPV) DNA TEST POSITIVE

If it is screening you must use the appropriate screening V code, There is a code for HPV screening which does not care if it is male or female screening.

We have been using code V73.81 but all of our claims are denying as experimental or services not covered under plan. :confused: