Wiki 90791 --Help

mariaher921

Contributor
Best answers
How many times can 90791 be billed? I have read threads from 2014.. but I wanted to know if its been updated. We have LCSW working and I don't know if they have a limit of billing it, because they are billing it more than often, per patient. I can find no information on CMS.. if anyone is familiar with this, any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

The private payer I work for only pays one. Looking at the Medicare Unlikely Edit list updated for 10/1/18, CMS also only allows this to be billed once per day. Download the practitioner service list to see all of the MUE edits. https://www.cms.gov/Medicare/Coding/NationalCorrectCodInitEd/MUE.html
This isn't a time based code, if you meet the criteria for a psychiatric diagnostic exam, you can bill the single unit to request reimbursement for it, regardless of how much time it took to meet all the necessary elements.

Most payers we work with have limits on how often this service may be provided. The exception, sometimes, is if there is a significant change in the patient and then you would have to appeal with documentation. Medicare, for example, allows one every 6 months. You would have to check payer policies on this code.