93922 vs 93923

dmccullers

Best answers
We perform LEAs in our office daily. We will do this studies after a pt has intervention and sometime the LEA is only performed on 1 leg. After reviewing the CPT codes once again I feel like I need clarification.

93922- Limited bilateral noninvasive physiologic studies of upper or lower extremity arteries (for lower extremity: ankle/brachial indices at distal posterior tibial and anterior tibial/dorsalis pedis arteries plus bidirectional, doppler waverform recording and analysis at 1-2 levels

93923- Complete bilateral noninvasive physiologic studies of upper or lower extremity arteries. 3 or more levels (for lower extremity: ankle/brachial indices at distal posterior tibial and anterior tibial/dorsalis pedis arteries plus bidirectional, doppler waverform recording and analysis at 3 levels or more

We are doing the description of 93923, but only on one leg. Do we bill 93922 or 93923? The Bilateral is what is throwing us off.

Granted this was a couple of years ago and could be outdated now, but at the practice where I previously worked the guidance that was given to us was that if the study was only done unilaterally we should apply a 52 modifier to the code to indicate this.