Wiki 96402 denied for prostate cancer diagnosis

jball

New
Best answers
BCBS of IL is denying 96402 when billed for C61, prostate cancer. The denial states "missing/invalid diagnosis or condition". I have found that they are paying J9217 from the drug, but not 96402 and they have the same diagnosis code. I have been unable to locate any policy to explain this. Does anyone know why they are denying prostate cancer treatment FOR prostate cancer?

BCBS of IL is denying 96402 when billed for C61, prostate cancer. The denial states "missing/invalid diagnosis or condition". I have found that they are paying J9217 from the drug, but not 96402 and they have the same diagnosis code. I have been unable to locate any policy to explain this. Does anyone know why they are denying prostate cancer treatment FOR prostate cancer?

Are you using a Z51 code as primary with the 96402?

It's possible that could be what the payer is looking for - some payers are more picky than others when it comes to the Z code.

Last edited:
Are you using a Z51 code as primary with the 96402?

It's possible that could be what the payer is looking for - some payers are more picky than others when it comes to the Z code.
Is Eligard considered chemotherapy? And it seems odd that they paid for the drug, but not the injection.