Wiki 99232

JAL1003

New
Best answers
Another coder recently told me that 99232 can be used if the patient has 3 stable diagnosis with at least one of the diagnosis being treated with drug management. I have never heard of this before and cannot find it anywhere in the CPT book or the encoder I use. Has anyone else ever heard of this? Thank you

No, there is no coding guidelines that allows this code to be assigned with just this - the code can only be assigned if the documentation meets all of the requirements of the CPT description of the service. What you're describing sounds like a general statement that would meet the moderate MDM level for that code which would also be supportive of the medical necessity of that level of service, but the documentation still needs to also meet the required level of either history or exam, as well as be reviewed for any other relevant factors, in order to be able to determine the correct code.

No, there is no coding guidelines that allows this code to be assigned with just this - the code can only be assigned if the documentation meets all of the requirements of the CPT description of the service. What you're describing sounds like a general statement that would meet the moderate MDM level for that code which would also be supportive of the medical necessity of that level of service, but the documentation still needs to also meet the required level of either history or exam, as well as be reviewed for any other relevant factors, in order to be able to determine the correct code.
Thank you for the reply. I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.