Wiki AAPC is being very unfair to revoke credentials for ICD 10

smartcoder

Networker
Best answers
AAPC is being very unfair and too eager to revoke hard earned credentials. They are not giving enough time to get the ICD 10 proficiency. CPC/COC credentials should be reinstated if the member proves the proficiency with in a year not in few months. I don't think AAPC is considering how much it costs for an individual to maintain the membership, earn CEUs and now spend more money to get the ICD 10 proficiency out of their own pocket.

I'm curious are you newly credentialed? I can somewhat understand being upset if receiving AAPC credential in October but it was highly publicized and it was even extended 2 extra months. I don't feel completely understanding as i know many brand newly credentialed in november and december who turned around and completed I-10 proficiency 1-2 weeks later with high scores. I know i didn't even study for I-10 other than going over the guidelines pages and scored 94% the weekend after I sat for CPC exam. It is pretty much ICD-9 with extra characters and a few guidelines changes (It was entirely too overhyped on the complexity that it scared some off until waiting until the last minute)

Here is someone that was complaining about it nearly a year before it was due.

https://www.aapc.com/memberarea/forums/118883-icd10-12-31-15-lose-credentials.html

All may not be lost though as according to this its just suspended and a late fee applies (Unless you already missed whatever late completion deadline is, then I don't know what to say.

https://www.aapc.com/myproficiency/

To avoid losing your credential(s) you must register for an assessment and complete by February 2 (suspension, late fee, extra time to complete applies) Register for either our At-Your-Own-Pace Assessment Course or Timed Assessment and successfully complete your assessment by February 2, 2016. Your corresponding credential(s) will be suspended and you’ll be assessed a $30 late fee, but you’ll still have additional time to complete your assessment.

Last edited:
I agree I have to retake my CPC over because I didn't have enough CEU was short by 12 CEUs. Now I got to retake it with the ICD 10 coding books.

I gave all my remaining sympathy with the original poster. CEU requirement is nothing new and has been a requirement for years. AAPC gives multiple examples of free and cheap ways to get CEUs. I've only been credentialed since October and already have 20 ceus and it hasn't cost me a dime (except the few bucks i gave in a 50/50 raffle at a local chapter meeting)

*edit* looks like the person deleted their add-on post but due to perfect timing its quoted above

CEU's

Do you mind me asking how you got 20 "for free" CEU's since October. I get my 18 per year just by doing the Business Monthly tests and from attending Chapter meetings. Which gives me just enough. Sometimes lucky enough for my employer to send me to a seminar and usually get at least 8 for a day. Then I don't have to work quite as hard for the others. Anyway my chapter is basically folding they don't have enough Officers to run it. So now I will need to find a way to get 11ish or so CEU's where can you get free CEU's. Thanks

Do you mind me asking how you got 20 "for free" CEU's since October. I get my 18 per year just by doing the Business Monthly tests and from attending Chapter meetings. Which gives me just enough. Sometimes lucky enough for my employer to send me to a seminar and usually get at least 8 for a day. Then I don't have to work quite as hard for the others. Anyway my chapter is basically folding they don't have enough Officers to run it. So now I will need to find a way to get 11ish or so CEU's where can you get free CEU's. Thanks

CMS and most MAC's usually offer free webinars throughout the year on various topics; many of them are worth CEU's. Ours (Novitas) also does an all-day symposium once a year with a few different classes; this alone is worth 8 hours. Check into that!

My chapter is pretty active and doesn't charge dues or meeting fees, healthcare business monthly, CMS MLN. I also did the monthly Q&A webinars from CCO.us (well now they charge $5 for the 2 CEU's.

I do have some paid options coming up to get my remaining. One option is not free but for $55 a year for BC Advantage magazine. They include CEU webinars to get 16 a year (you can do them all in a week if you have time. so $110 for 32 CEU every 2 years. That's on top of the 12 per year from the AAPC magazines (sadly the ones before you are credentialed don't count) which is more CEUs than one needs

Here is a link to the Medicare Learning Network Web Based Training:

https://www.cms.gov/Outreach-and-Ed...cts_and_Resources_for_Billing_and_Coding.html