Wiki Active Release Technique ( ART )

Best answers
Hello ... I work for a payor and was wondering if someone in the state of PA ( Medicare ) could help me out w/ what the most appropriate code could be and where exactly I could find correct billing / payor information ?:confused:
Thank you ...

I am not from PA, but I have done a lot of work with chiros. The same CPT codes are used for chiro manipulation regardless of the the technique used.

Go to www.cms.gov and type "Chiropractic" in the search box. It brings up several chiro-related booklets.
You may wish to do a similar search on your MAC's website.
Also contact the chiropractic association for PA. They may have helpful info for you.

I am in Millersville, PA. We use 97530 for ART. We include in our notes when requested, the muscles affected as well as time. The Chiropractor I work for is ART certified. This technique is separate from a manipulation.

I would disagree. ART involves the provider using their hands to manipulate soft tissues, which would be closest to 97140. 97530 is therapeutic activity, and requires active participation by the patient (moving around and such). If the patient isn't doing anything other than lying there and letting the doctor or chiro work on them, then 97530 is definitely not appropriate.

ART is closest to "myofascial release"

As a chiropractor and a coder, I can say that ART most closely fits in the description of 97140, which is also where I would put trigger point work. 98940-98942 are appropriate for chiropractic manipulative therapy, but ART is soft tissue work and does not involve joint manipulation.

I work as a payor for automotive insurance and see a lot of chiropractic bills. Most common code we see ART billed as is 97140.

I check with the carriers for which codes they will accept with documentation. Some will take 97530 and some will not. There are a few who will not pay 97140. We have also talked with Dr. Leahy's office about which codes we should use for ART and just how to document it correctly.