Wiki Afib

Best answers
Hi all!

I had a question (and it may be stupid haha). I just started my first coding job (go me!) for an anesthesia department, so all of this is a little new to me. I was coding paper charts today so making out the writing was a hassle, but most of the cases had a diagnosis of afib and the procedure said DCC. I assume that means diagnostic cardiac cath? Is that right? Or is there something else that this would stand for in this case?

Thanks for your help!

Hi all!

I had a question (and it may be stupid haha). I just started my first coding job (go me!) for an anesthesia department, so all of this is a little new to me. I was coding paper charts today so making out the writing was a hassle, but most of the cases had a diagnosis of afib and the procedure said DCC. I assume that means diagnostic cardiac cath? Is that right? Or is there something else that this would stand for in this case?

Thanks for your help!
As others have correctly stated, direct current cardioversion is DCC. Heart catheterization would never be performed for arrhythmias. It is a vascular study. Instead it would be performed to assess diseases of the native coronary arteries or coronary bypass grafts. A fib, a flutter, v tach, v fib are all electrical cardiac anomalies whereas CAD (coronary artery disease) is obviously an artery problem. In the course of your anesthesia coding you may also see EP (electrophysiology) studies and/or ablations which are again used for arrhythmias, either to treat, or to try to diagnose exactly what arrhythmia is going on. There are specific ASA codes for those.