Wiki AMA email....is this legit? Urgent: Immediate action required for CPT Standard Data File licensing

Best answers
AMA is wanting our group to pay a licensing fee to use CPT codes in our business??????? sounds like a definite SCAM to me. But, they really are demanding a licensing fee for anyone that wants to download/update CPT codes, fortunately for us, I can do that manually because our practice uses very specific codes.

Last edited:
AMA is wanting our group to pay a licensing fee to use CPT codes in our business??????? sounds like a definite SCAM to me. But, they really are demanding a licensing fee for anyone that wants to download/update CPT codes, fortunately for us, I can do that manually because our practice uses very specific codes.

AMA has a copyright on the CPT data set, so that is correct that the only way to get a download of the entire CPT data set is to license it. It's probably not something that the average practice needs to do, because most will access CPT through a book or a subscription to an encoder program.

However, any organization or vendor that needs access to an electronic copy of the whole data set would need to license it:

Who needs a license to use the CPT content?​

Any individual or entity using CPT content needs permission or a license (i.e., an end-user agreement, end user license agreement, or other written agreement authorizing use of CPT codes) from the AMA or an authorized distributor.

Examples where a license and royalty payment are required (not an exhaustive list):

• Use of CPT content to develop, test, maintain, and service products that use or rely on CPT
  • Use of CPT content in products that are licensed or distributed by a vendor, company or other third party
  • Distribution of products that require use of CPT content
  • Any proposed use of CPT content including the creation of derivative works of CPT content, translations or localized versions of CPT content