Wiki American Medical Billing Association

wsmelker

New
Best answers
Does anyone know anything about this association? I recently passed my CPC; however, I cannot find anyone who will hire without experience. Therefore, I am looking into getting some billing experience and the AMBA offers courses with a certification exam. I just don't want this to be another dead end for me as far as getting some work experience. If anyone has any suggestions, I would really appreciate it!

Thank you!

Wendy

Does anyone know anything about this association? I recently passed my CPC; however, I cannot find anyone who will hire without experience. Therefore, I am looking into getting some billing experience and the AMBA offers courses with a certification exam. I just don't want this to be another dead end for me as far as getting some work experience. If anyone has any suggestions, I would really appreciate it!

Thank you!

Wendy

Wendy, funny you are asking the same questions I am thinking right now. I am also looking at AMBA and www.medicalbillingcourse.com but am having difficulty finding out if the CMRS credentials at AMBA or the CMBP at Medical Billing Course, LLC have any different meaning to the billing world. Is one better than the other? They both appear to cost about the same. Right now I am leaning towards the CMRS simply because it works similar to AAPC as far as membership and CEU's. AMBA even accepts some CEU credit from AAPC approved CEU's.

While I applaud your efforts, and I don't mean to rain on your parade, multiple credentials without experience, is still no experience.

Instead of trying to obtain another credential (and still have no experience) check out the job market in your area and ask what the hiring managers might suggest. If they want experience, obtaining another credential is really not going to help you anyway.

Again, I am in no way trying to discourage you. What you might want to do it pick up the phone book and call every doctor's office or medical billing service in your area, and speak to the hiring manager. Explain your situation, have credential, no experience, and ask if they have any positions available. If you let them know you are willing to start low and work your way up, many times people will give you a chance. Yes, you might work thru the whole phone book, but this does work. I actually found two jobs this way when moving to another area. Neither job had even been posted or advertised for yet. Initiative does count!

Best,

While I applaud your efforts, and I don't mean to rain on your parade, multiple credentials without experience, is still no experience.

Instead of trying to obtain another credential (and still have no experience) check out the job market in your area and ask what the hiring managers might suggest. If they want experience, obtaining another credential is really not going to help you anyway.

Again, I am in no way trying to discourage you. What you might want to do it pick up the phone book and call every doctor's office or medical billing service in your area, and speak to the hiring manager. Explain your situation, have credential, no experience, and ask if they have any positions available. If you let them know you are willing to start low and work your way up, many times people will give you a chance. Yes, you might work thru the whole phone book, but this does work. I actually found two jobs this way when moving to another area. Neither job had even been posted or advertised for yet. Initiative does count!

Best,

Well its not raining here in Oregon this morning, not yet anyway but give it a few minutes. :)

Seriously though I am not just looking for the 'credential' but the training as much as anything. As for the job searching I am applying for every entry level position I can find starting at the front desk receptionist. My/our goal down the road is to some day have our own billing/coding business but that's years away. I am confident I will get started somewhere eventually, it just seems like its taking forever and ever. I know that I am going to need to start at the bottom and work up but that's what I did for 30 years so I am experienced at that...working my way up that is.