Wiki Amnio Testing

wendyout

Best answers
Can you help?

I have an OB patient who wants to delivery her baby on a specific date. Of course, that day is prior to gestational period per JACHO and hospital rules.

There must be an amnio scheduled to verfity lung materity, before provider can schedule c-section. Do anyone know what diag. code is suitable in this case?

The lecithin –sphingomyelin ratio from the amniotic fluid, is the test predictive of fetal lung maturity in intrauterine life to rule out RDS( respiratory Distress Syndrome) at the time of Birth.
So
769-respiratory Distress Syndrome
And one fitting appropriate fromV72-V75- would V72.82 go with? ( the pre procedural can be taken as pre delivery procedure)

amnio

V28.2 is antenatal screening by amnio.
I would not use 769. This is strictly a screening test on the mother's request. It shouldn't be paid by insurance unless medically necessary not just for convenience of the mother.
I would make sure that she is aware that if insurance doesn't pay she will be responsible and amnios are not cheap.

LeeAnn

v code 28. 2 is a good shot and I appreciate that and describes screening test with amniotic fuid but does not decribe the condition for which it is done.

But the code 659.80 seems to be more appropriate which is a Chapter 11 code which should be given priority andthe primary diagnosis code.So 659.80, V28.2 -will that be ok?

659.80 Other specified indications for care or intervention related to labor and delivery unspecified as to episode of care
ICD-9-CM 659.80 is a billable medical code that can be used to specify a diagnosis on a reimbursement claim.
[ Why I suggested the 759 code is - to decribe a condition during a perinatal period.( perinatal period meaning the period between intrauterine Viablility and neonatal period of baby life), in the event of no code existing for fetal lung maturity which is an indicator of RDS. This code acceptible for intrauterine fetus or not could be a question.
It decribes the exact reason of the episode which mandated the fetal maturity screening.
amniotic fluid test is not ordered on the maternal request.

Screening for fetal/ newborn lung maturity, that is for RDS, is not at the discretion of the mother but RDS ruling out is a medical necessity mandated for the doctor's diagnostic criteria.]

Could you please validate with the reference that the code "769 is strictly at mother's request". i am not aware of.

As far I know none of these tests- amnio.fluid tests or the test done for fetal lung maturity/ RDS is on maternal request.
THEY ALL ARE WITH ABSOLUTE MEDICAL NECESSITY AND MANDATED FOR THE DOCTORS TO ARRIVE AT THE CORRECT DIAGNOSIS.
Thank you.

Last edited: