Wiki Anesthesia Billing for ASC Question

Jswando1

New
Best answers
Hello, the ASC that I have billed for for many years has recently decided to start billing a facility charge for anesthesia services. This will only be payable on a few of our contracts, but they want to bill it where possible. They contract with a professional anesthesia provider (a CRNA) who bills their own professional services, but our ASC wants to bill for the facility charge and (when possible) anesthesia medications that are used during surgery.

Many years ago, I billed for professional anesthesia services, so I'm somewhat familiar with that side of the coding, but I'm getting a bit stumped when thinking through how to bill these services for the ASC. We bill UB-04 forms and HCFA forms to different payers. I know that I should bill with revenue code 370 on the UB and report the anesthesia time in units. I will append the SG modifier to a HCFA claim.

But ... two questions. Do I need to use patient status modifiers or the QZ modifier for a CRNA? Do I use the traditional anesthesia CPT codes (like 01830 or whatever) with an SG modifier on HCFAs?

I know this is a bit of a grey area re: billing (which is one reason we haven't done this until now), but that's making the information a little hard to track down online. Hoping someone here can help me.

FWIW, we are already billing post-op pain blocks to payors that will allow it and have done so for several years. This would be for the anesthesia services done during the procedure itself.

Thanks in advance!