Wiki Aortic occlusion with bilateral iliac artery stenoses

kimberliterpstra

Networker
Best answers
The vascular surgeon used an "aortic occlusion Endologix AFX graft deployment (main body, right iliac limb and left iliac limb/unibody bifurcated graft) to "navigate through the occlusions" in the terminal aorta.
He also performed a right iliac angioplasty and left iliac angioplasty with stent placement; I know I can charge for both of these.
Can this type of graft deployment be charged for the occlusion in the terminal aorta? if so, what CPT code should be used... there was no aneurysm.
I have contacted the manufacturer to inquire about this type of graft, but their response is to send me a list of "potential" CPT codes, none of which are pertinent in this case.
Thank you!
-Kim

I've always coded them according to my Interventional Radiology/Procedures book which is..
34701-34706 are used for endovascular repair of the infrarenal aorta to treat conditions like aneurysm, pseudoaneurysm, dissection, penetrating ulcer and traumatic disruption. These codes should not be used for endovascular treatment of atherosclerotic occlusive disease. Placement of a covered stent for atherosclerotic occlusive disease is reported with code 37236-37237 (aorta) or 37221/37223 (iliac arteries).

I hope this helps.