Wiki Appropriate modifier for CPT 13122 and 17311

jenmendoza

Contributor
Best answers
Good morning everyone! I have a quick question regarding these three CPT codes. Pt came in for a MOHS procedure, as well as a complex repair afterwards. The following CPT codes were used:

Initially, modifier 51 was used on 13122, however it was denied by UHC. Replaced it with 58, was denied again. 21 days prior to this visit, pt had a shave and punch biopsy done. I was wondering if there is a more appropriate modifier to be used for this?

No modifiers should be necessary in this situation, but your repair is coded incorrectly - 13122 is an add-on code but there is no base code here. You'll need to recode this with the appropriate code or codes based on the documented length of the repair.

No modifiers should be necessary in this situation, but your repair is coded incorrectly - 13122 is an add-on code but there is no base code here. You'll need to recode this with the appropriate code or codes based on the documented length of the repair.
OH. OH! You're right OMG how could I have missed that. Thank you so much! So modifier 51 won't be necessary... then it is fine to submit the ff codes as is:

13121 instead of 13122 (size was 2.6-7.5cm)