Wiki Auditing Tool - I would like to know how many auditors

Gemini18

Expert
Best answers
Hello -

I would like to know how many auditors out there share their auditing tools with the Physicians/Facilities they are auditing for? I'm asking because we audit for 28 hospitals and one of the physicians at the hospital wants to see our auditing tool. They were told by the previous auditor that it was against HIPAA rules (I've never heard this). They just want to see how I audit their charts. Any suggestions?

Physician Education

When our Compliance Department does the annual physician education they frequently hand out copies of the audit tool so the doctors know where the auditor is coming from. A blank audit tool has no HIPAA protected information on it.

The actual audit report is on a spreadsheet that outlines what code was originally selected, what code the auditor determined is correct, what the financial impact is of the difference (if any), and what corrective measures are requried (if any).

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC

The audit sheet I use is actually one of the best tools I have to teach E/M documentation and coding.

You should be able to share the tools you use with out compromising patient information.

Laura, CPC