Wiki Best Auditing Tool to use?

medicode3

Networker
Best answers
Hello Fellow Coders,

i hope you all are healthy and doing well. I have recently started an auditing position (which i have done in the past) but I have several different tools I can use to determine the correct E/M level. Is there an easy to look at tool that you auditors prefer to use when auditing E/M levels? If so, can you share with me? Thank you so much. My email is sheri.mccoy52880@gmail.com
I appreciate any information you may have.

Thank you!!

Auditing Tool

Your best bet is to make sure you are comparing apples to apples. What I mean is when you are auditing you want to make sure the "tool" you are using the same guidelines as your MAC. I would be happy to share with you my favorite tool (see attachment below), it is only 2 pages, but I have to keep in mind when using it that I utilized the guidelines of the exam components on the audit tool my local carrier uses since they are different.

Steph Moore, CPC, CPMA
President Seacoast Dover NH Chapter
Stephanie.Moore@wdhospital.com

Attachments

• Audit Tool.pdf
    162.8 KB · Views: 511
Last edited:
Your best bet is to make sure you are comparing apples to apples. What I mean is when you are auditing you want to make sure the "tool" you are using the same guidelines as your MAC. I would be happy to share with you my favorite tool, it is only 2 pages, but I have to keep in mind when using it that I utilized the guidelines of the exam components on the audit tool my local carrier uses since they are different.

Steph Moore, CPC, CPMA

Can you send me the audit tool?
My email is cmcevoy@institute.org

Thanks
Claudia

Can you please send the tool to me?
RLBARNES53@GMAIL.COM
Also, can anyone give me some guidance with talking the CPMA? I don't do auditing just coding which I have found that I am struggling with Auditing Skills. I have the practice exam from 2015 and 2016 but after I review those questions after a while I just remember the answers. Are there any other practice tools that I could uses to become stronger.
Thank you in advance!!

Auditing Tool

Would you kindly send me that tool? Thank you in advance! I am studying for my certification for Medical Auditing......any tips re: exam preparation?

Novatis Site

I was using the tool on the novatis site and if you chose 7 organ systems it still says expanded. How do you change this?

Revenue Cycle Supervisor/Coder

I would like to see your audit tool as well if you don't mind. Just starting to study for CPMA and will be auditing at my current position very soon.

Thank you,

Dawna Cornett, CPC
dawna@prmg365.com

I have attached the document for the audit tool pages 7 & 8. Again keep in mind you want to make sure the tool aligns with your local MAC. I would suggest you use your local carriers E/M coding worksheet/audit tool. There are also some commercial payers that may have different guidelines specifically related to the detailed exam so you will want to compare.

Attachments

• Audit Tool.pdf
    162.8 KB · Views: 101
Hi Steph,

I use this audit form as well, and I have used it for years. It works great and it has both the 1995 and 1997 guidelines on the same form. I am also in NH...I'm just a little further north in the Plymouth area.

Sam Montague, CPC, CPB

Your best bet is to make sure you are comparing apples to apples. What I mean is when you are auditing you want to make sure the "tool" you are using the same guidelines as your MAC. I would be happy to share with you my favorite tool (see attachment below), it is only 2 pages, but I have to keep in mind when using it that I utilized the guidelines of the exam components on the audit tool my local carrier uses since they are different.

Steph Moore, CPC, CPMA

That's great! You should come to one of our local chapter meetings or our annual conference some time!