Wiki Best positions for administration and coding cross-over?

kath3210

Best answers
Hello forum - I've been doing a good bit of research over the past 2 years on how to move my career forward. I would love to blend my administrative skills with my new CPC skills (still an apprentice - resume posted on proper forum) and am seeking suggestions. Does anyone have suggestions regarding roles/job titles to target? Some I have received thus far include denials, audits, HCC coding, HEDIS and claims analyst. Any feedback is appreciated!

The problem, I would think, is that your admin skills are high and your coding skills are low (just based on being an apprentice). It would seem to me that you would need some time in the trenches doing coding before you could move things forward, then find out along the way where your interest lie (lay? lie? lie. ).

The problem, I would think, is that your admin skills are high and your coding skills are low (just based on being an apprentice). It would seem to me that you would need some time in the trenches doing coding before you could move things forward, then find out along the way where your interest lie (lay? lie? lie. ).
Thank you for the feedback, Sharon. I see the need for clarification of duties that pertain, but obviously it is not the same as direct coding. I'm slowly working my way through Practicode and also seeking work that helps me gain experience with EMR/EHR, specific insurance verification, billing, etc.

Does anyone have further ideas regarding crossing over? This is certainly an unprecedented time in our world. I'm doing what I can to build my skills and credibility for crossing over. LinkedIn has been a helpful resource!

I would suggest looking at ancillary roles, like authorizations. Especially if you can get into a specialty that’s very detail oriented, like ortho or maxillofacial you’ll get exposure to reading medical records and essentially assigning the codes (since you have to submit them for approval along with medical necessity documentation) and also working with the various insurance companies.

I would suggest looking at ancillary roles, like authorizations. Especially if you can get into a specialty that’s very detail oriented, like ortho or maxillofacial you’ll get exposure to reading medical records and essentially assigning the codes (since you have to submit them for approval along with medical necessity documentation) and also working with the various insurance companies.
Thank you for the ideas, sinman0531. I have definitely been leaning the direction of insurance verification and referrals. It is helpful to know that these roles would involve reading records and coding to some degree. I am also exploring roles directly with insurance carriers. I also continue to read through job descriptions for posts I see, looking for ways I can fit into their picture. Thanks again!