Wiki Bill outpatient or inpatient?

Expert
Best answers
Patient presents to the Ambulatory Care unit. The cardiologist performs a heart cath and makes the decision the patient needs to be admitted, and that the cardiothoracic surgeon needs to see the patient in consultation to determine if the patient is a surgical candidate. The cardiothoracic surgeon sees the patient in the ambulatory care unit as the patient is waiting for an inpatient bed; however, the cardiologist possibly already hand wrote the orders for the admission. Would this consultation done by the cardiothoracic surgeons be considered an inpatient consultation or an outpatient consultation? Example: Cardiology writes admit orders at 10 a.m., heart surgeon sees patient at 10:30 a.m., patient sent to inpatient bed at 1 p.m.

hmm...

my initial thought is inpatient....

however, I would check with the hospital and see when they changed the status from outpatient to inpatient and go by what they say.

It should be based on when the order was written; however, I often find errors in the medical records....my suggestion is to make a contact in that department that can help you when you need to have the IP status changed so that it matches what is actually done.

Have a great day!