Wiki Billing Audit????

cleecpc

Contributor
Best answers
I just started a brand new position and one of my first assignments is a "billing audit". I have already completed a coding audit, reviewing coding documentation to what was billed. That was no problem. I am struggling with what to include and look for in the "billing" audit. I thought I might just review encounters against billed charges, but I am not sure if I am on the "right" track.

Does anyone have any suggestions??

Thanks!!

I just started a brand new position and one of my first assignments is a "billing audit". I have already completed a coding audit, reviewing coding documentation to what was billed. That was no problem. I am struggling with what to include and look for in the "billing" audit. I thought I might just review encounters against billed charges, but I am not sure if I am on the "right" track.

Does anyone have any suggestions??

Thanks!!

It sounds to me like you are on the right track. I have a couple thoughts on how to make sure this is a successful project. First, I'd check with the person who asked you to do the "billing" audit to clarify exactly what they are expecting.

Do they want you to do what you have already done? Or would they like something more comprehensive such as auditing the encounter forms against the billed charges, etc. Would they like you to identify what was reimbursed vs. what was denied? Why it was denied? Are any of the denials disputable? Do you have a contract that requires you to "write off" the charges or can they be billed to the patient? If so were they written off or billed to the patient. Just some thoughts on the possible depth of a "billing audit” But before I went too far, I'd check to see what the employer would like from you. They may not really have an idea of what could be included and would appreciate your suggestions. Good luck with your new position and have a great 2009.

Thanks for your help Claudia. I really appreciate it a great deal. I have been visiting with my supervisor about the "billing' audit, and I think we are on the same page.

Thanks again-have a great 2009!!