Wiki billing based on time - without the pt present

Colliemom

Expert
Best answers
One of our physicians counseled a patient's mother regarding the patient's care. (17 year old) She wants to check and see if this is billable:

I had an appointment with a 17 YO girl but her mother was the only one to come to the appointment. I did spend at least 30min in discussion with the patient's mother, but of course could not examine the actual patient. what do I do with this from a billing perspective? Can I bill at all given that the patient was not even present for the discussion?

I had one source tell me:

"You can bill the mother directly using the counseling code without patient present. It is not covered by insurance."

CPT states, under Time guidelines, Face-to-face time is defined as only that time that the physician spends face-to-face with the patient and/or family. So does the "and/or" mean we can still bill for the time spent counseling the mother about the daughter's care? Does the fact that the daughter was not present effect this?

We follow CPT in these instances and bill the E/M since it says "patient and/or family" except for Medicare. Medicare doesn't cover these visits because they require a face-to-face with the patient.

Patient name

You bill under the patient's name (in this case the 17 YO girl).
Documentation should state:
Total amount of time spent face-to-face with patient and/or family
Amount of time spent in counseling/coordination of care (must be MORE THAN 50% of total)
Nature of counseling/coordination of care
Some statement as to why the patient was unavailable (this should be a medically necessary reason, not just "didn't want to skip school")

Example: I spent 30 minutes with Mom today discussing Daughter's condition and treatment options; 100% of the time was for counseling/coordination of care. Due to the nature of the illness, Mother wished to discuss treatment options with me before meeting with her daughter.

Code the appropriate level E/M based on the total amount of time spent.

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CEMC