Wiki billing for chemo teaching?

trarut

True Blue
Best answers
Hi all :) We used to have a couple of nurses dedicated to chemo teaching and were charging 99211's for their time. A few months ago, we have a staffing shuffle and now our NP's are doing the chemo teaching so we've seen a change from 99211's to higher visits. I'm not convinced this is appropriate since it seems that they're trying to bill based on the time.

How does your practice bill for your chemotherapy teaching, if at all?

Tracy

Last edited:
Nurse Practitioner Chemo teaching

Good afternoon,

When I was coding chemo infusions, out Nurse Practitioner's did the patient education and they always assigned an E&M code that rested upon both the time and documentation. They typically charged 99213 and sometimes 99214 when there was a lot involved. I know it does seem appropriate but we had a meeting with a Medicare rep regarding this and they were comfortable with us doing this.

Good luck!

Joyce

Chemo Education Visit by ARNP based on Time and Counseling

Hello,

Our Oncology group has been billing an E&M visit for Chemo education based on time and counseling, this visit has been on a separate day from any initial provider services and is "incident-to" the initial service. An outside consultant stated to the group that this could not be done, as education is bundled into the Chemotherapy Administration code. The consultant stated it was her "opinion", as she did not have an official resource to support her claim. I researched the CPT and CMS definition of these administration codes and could not find any such documentation. Does any one have any resource to either support this claim or disprove it?

chemo teach

I was billing the 99211 but then started using 98960 x 2 (if it were an hour). This is with our RNs doing the teaching. I am interested in learning what everyone else is doing. I like the time idea but our NPs don't usually do the chemo teaching.

Julie