Question Billing for Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)

thomas7331

True Blue
Best answers
We were considering using it when our doctors see patients in full PPE only. 🤷‍♀️ Not sure it would fly, so we haven't tried it. :unsure:
PPE supplies are usually considered part of a practice's overhead costs and most payers wouldn't reimburse this since since it is considered inclusive to the payments being made to the services that are rendered. For example, sterile gloves are not paid in addition to a surgical procedure. But I have seen some payer contracts that allow for payment for supplies that are above and beyond what is normally included in certain procedures - I'd suggest looking at your payers' policies and contracts for direction on this.

Last edited:
Best answers
There is a HCPCS code, but only for very specific circumstances, such as End Stage Renal Disease, and then it is only available under Medicare Part A and not Part B (most people with ESRD have Medicare).

You could always sell them to the patients for cash at cost. But the bigger question in my mind is, who has enough to be giving them to patients??? We don't even have enough for our medical staff.

cappy

New
Best answers
There is a HCPCS code, but only for very specific circumstances, such as End Stage Renal Disease, and then it is only available under Medicare Part A and not Part B (most people with ESRD have Medicare).

You could always sell them to the patients for cash at cost. But the bigger question in my mind is, who has enough to be giving them to patients??? We don't even have enough for our medical staff.
We were considering using it when our doctors see patients in full PPE only. 🤷‍♀️ Not sure it would fly, so we haven't tried it. :unsure: