Wiki Billing for Telephone Encounter

mclouse2

New
Best answers
Looking for guidance in how to bill for the following:

COVID-19 precautions today. Distancing practiced. Hand wash in and out patient and physician if patient was roomed. Physician wearing mask.
Today patient interview was conducted over the phone. Patient checked in, pill count was done, patient went out to car and was interviewed over the phone to limit contact. UDS was done if needed.

Scoliosis xrays once COVID craziness has passed. At this time I advised to wait
Knee injection was extremely effective last visit reports 100% relief. Repeat PRN.
No changes to overall health. No changes to pain. Meds still effective with no SE. Will follow up in 1 month.

Directly from the encounter. Located from the Assessment/Plan. The practice I work for is pain management.

I am unsure if I would bill still using the 99201-99215.

I believe if your provider did not see the patient in person or via telehealth (interactive audio and video), then this would not be E/M codes.
Telephone encounters require the time documented.
As is, I don't think this is billable. Moving forward, I would suggest telehealth whenever possible. When it's not, time MUST be documented to bill telephone encounter. Medicare G2012. Commercial 99441-99443 unless otherwise advised by carrier.

I believe if your provider did not see the patient in person or via telehealth (interactive audio and video), then this would not be E/M codes.
Telephone encounters require the time documented.
As is, I don't think this is billable. Moving forward, I would suggest telehealth whenever possible. When it's not, time MUST be documented to bill telephone encounter. Medicare G2012. Commercial 99441-99443 unless otherwise advised by carrier.
Thank you so much!