Wiki Billing Question

april nelson

Contributor
Best answers
The Office Manager At Our Office Wants To Know If It Is Legal To Put In Our Suspension Letters To Patients, Notice That If They Are Not Paying Their Bills We Will Notify Their Insurance Co. ,and Basicly Threaten This Could Jepodize Their Coverage. Thanks For Any Help
April

I'm curious - why would their insurance company care if the patient is paying their bill or not? It's not the insurance company's problem, or concern. They certainly can't take the coverage away as long as the patient is paying their premium...
I don't get it...

Due to HIPAA, I dont think you can. I would suggest that your office manager contact your practices' legal counsel prior to doing so.

Like Donna said, The insurance carriers really wont care. Its none of their business if the patient is not paying their medical bills. They can not discontinue the patients coverage unless they dont pay their premiums.

Check w/ legal counsel

You ask "is it legal ..." We're not attorneys and I, for one, wouldn't presume to answer such a question.

That being said ...
Why would the insurance company care?
I don't know if the insurance company will care or not, but if someone with a high deductible is routinely never paying their deductible then they are not adhering to the provisions of their contract with the insurance company.

In any case ... before you do anything, be sure to contact legal counsel.

I feel your pain, though. I'm sure many of us recognize the "frequent fliers" in our practice who are sent to collection for virtually every bill!

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CPC-E/M