Wiki Biopsy of Salivary Gland 42400 vs 76942 w/10022

kkfremane

Contributor
Best answers
Rad Rpt Reads:

ULTRASOUND SALIVARY GLAND NEEDLE BIOPSY
Indication: Bilateral parotid nodules.
Findings: Informed consent was obtained. Next, using local anesthesia and direct ultrasound visualization fine-needle aspirations were performed of the nodule in the right and left parotid lobes. The patient tolerarted the procedure well.

Impression: Successfu fine needle aspiration of the bilateral parotid nodules.

Thanks in advance for any advice on coding this for the Radiologist.

Rad Rpt Reads:

Findings: Informed consent was obtained. Next, using local anesthesia and direct ultrasound visualization fine-needle aspirations were performed of the nodule in the right and left parotid lobes. The patient tolerarted the procedure well.

I would code 42400/76942

HTH :)

fna salivary gland

i would code 10022,10022-59/76942 for bilateral fna of salivary gland. FNA performed in any area goes with code 10022 only.
in the above case their is no mention of core taken to code 42400.

Coder

One of our providers has performed an ultrasound with guidance using 76536 and 76942. He also did a FNA. Can I code the FNA 10022 59 and not use the 76942 or do we need the distinction of the fine needle?

Last edited:
Ultrasound guidance for a biopsy if 76942. The 76536 is for an ultrasound of the soft tissues of the neck. The aspiration of a nodule would be 10022. I would code it the same way the Rajebpt has it.

Rad Rpt Reads:

code 10022 and 76492 x 2
There is a parenthetical note under 42400 to use 10022 for fine needle aspiration.

Donna J Richmond