Wiki BMI reporting

mnuhfer04

Networker
Best answers
Good morning! When reporting BMI, I am a bit confused between G8417 and 3008f. Would someone be able to help me distinguish these codes and if one or both should be reported together? Also, does there have to be a dx along with it, or is reporting the BMI alone enough?

Thanks!

• G8417 (HCPCS) - Body mass index, or BMI, classifies individuals on the basis of their weight as underweight, normal weight, or obese. The provider reports this code with a BMI value above normal parameters and documents a followup plan for the same.
  • 3008F (CPT category II code) - Diagnostic/screening processes or results codes describe results of tests ordered(clinical laboratory tests, radiological or other procedural examinations, and conclusions of medical decision-making).
    • I attached some info for each code. Hope that helps!

Attachments

• CPT-CODE-3008F.pdf
    53.6 KB · Views: 56
  • HCPCS-CODE-G8417.pdf
    50.1 KB · Views: 36
Hi
here is what I know when using the BMI % should be in the med record for the patient and 2 dx code need to list on claim dx E66 and Z68= BMI if record for weigh/obesity issues. You can use dx Z71.3 if doc/provider checking weight issues as ongoing problem for the patient. If use CPT codes use the 99406 series. If the BMI is less than 16% probably got a lacking nutrition defiency problem see E46.3. BMI counts if over 30% for HCC rating. Document localized fat if in stomach area only and causes problem with dx M79.3 other illnesses. Also if pregnant pt. do not use BMI dx codes unless doc has good reason per the ICD 10 manual

I hope this info helps
Lady T :cool: