Wiki Cabg

nyyankees

True Blue
Best answers
I'm coding CABG's and ma having a hard time figuring these out. How do I know how many CABG's and how many grafts. Does it take 1 anamostosis to make 1 CABG? Any sites that could help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Do you have a case to post? You can email me if you'd like: jgcardioconsulting@gmail.com.

Are you referring to CPT codes 33510-33536? But yes, you have the right idea as far as how many CABGs are created.

If you look on page 185 in CPT you can see how to count them.

Examples:

If they do endoscopic saphenous vein harvest, then you can bill 33508**

VENOUS GRAFTING Only FOR CORONARY ARTERY BYPASS
RCA (right coronary artery) to Aorta with SV graft = this is ONE graft completed with saphenous vein (SV) = 33510

RC to Aorta with SV graft = 1 CABG; LD to Aorta with SV graft = 1 CABG; LC to Aorta with SV graft = 1 CABG. So, here you have 3 separate grafts, which is billed with 33512.

COMBINED ARTERIAL-VENOUS GRAFTING FOR CORONARY BYPASS
LD to left subclavian artery with LIMA graft = 1 CABG and RC to Aorta with SV graft = 1 CABG
33533 & 33517

Note: To determine the number of bypass grafts in coronary artery bypass count the number of distal anastomoses (contact point{s}) where the bypasss graft artery or vein is sutured to the diseased coronary artery(s).

HTH