Wiki Can I bill an initial IP visit for 2 providers of same specialty within 60 days?

mtsoldevila

Networker
Best answers
Provider A saw the patient on 5/20/22 and billed 99222. Patient was readmitted on 6/19 /2022, and another provider from the same group specialty did the consultation this time. Can I billed an initial code for this 2nd provider or a subsequent one?

Provider A saw the patient on 5/20/22 and billed 99222. Patient was readmitted on 6/19 /2022, and another provider from the same group specialty did the consultation this time. Can I billed an initial code for this 2nd provider or a subsequent one?
You should bill an initial visit for the first visit for each admission (assuming documentation supports it). There is no requirement for a specific amount of to elapse between initial visits. A new admission requires a full work-up by the provider, even if the patient happened to have just been discharged recently.

Yes, these were two separate initial visits handled by two separate physicians.