Wiki Can I use my 2021 books for cpc exam in 2022?

Best answers
Hello
I bought the 2021 package last year before the 2022 came out. I was wondering if this would be sufficient to use my 2021 books for the exam this year. If so, anyone know where I can go to get the changes/updates for the exam? Thanks in advance!

You are allowed to use 2021 books, but the exam will be based on 2022. If your existing books are already tabbed/highlighted/marked up and you are familiar with where to cross reference, you might be OK just noting the changes in your 2021 books. However, if you are barely passing practice exams, and you miss passing by 1 question, you will always wonder whether it was because you were using outdated books. You need to decide for yourself if the cost of the new books & time to re-tab/highlight/markup new books is worth the risk of possibly getting some questions wrong.

https://journal.ahima.org/get-the-2022-cpt-code-updates-for-covid-19-and-more/ contains some of the updates and additional links.

Is it possible to get a list of the new codes for 2022? Are they on the AAPC website somewhere? If so, can you please direct me to them? Thanks! :)

Is it possible to get a list of the new codes for 2022? Are they on the AAPC website somewhere? If so, can you please direct me to them? Thanks! :)

There were 405 changed codes for CPT 2022. (249 new codes, 63 deleted codes, and 93 revised codes)

CPT is copyrighted by the AMA, and you can find some information about the 2022 changes here: https://www.ama-assn.org/press-center/press-releases/ama-releases-2022-cpt-code-set

(That article has some links embedded in it for some additional information and data.)

AAPC also had a webinar on 2022 CPT coding updates. It's an overview with some key highlights of some of the changes. Obviously a 1 hour webinar isn't going to cover all 405 changes, but it should give you a good summary of some of the ones that will have the biggest impact.

Hello
I bought the 2021 package last year before the 2022 came out. I was wondering if this would be sufficient to use my 2021 books for the exam this year. If so, anyone know where I can go to get the changes/updates for the exam? Thanks in advance!
I just took the test this last week and those are the books I used. I am happy to say I passed the first time out! They worked for me!!

Thanks, but I was looking for a list of the (actual) codes!
As mentioned earlier, since CPT are copyrighted by AMA, you can only get the listing from something you subscribe to. For example, if you have Codify, then there is a list available. Otherwise, there are a variety of websites already provided that give partial information.

Hi, i am gonna have my CPC online exam, and i bought an AMA ICD-10 and HCPCS 2022 books, its okay for AAPC exam right? Thank you for answering. 🙏

No, using the 2021 code books ended on May 1. You'll need the 2022 coding books for the CPC exam currently.

That's incorrect. AHIMA updates versions of coding books on May 1st, not AAPC.

AAPC exams change to the new versions on January 1st, and you are allowed to use the prior year's books all year. It's not necessarily recommended, but you are permitted to use them.

You are correct, I misread her post. Thanks!
That's incorrect. AHIMA updates versions of coding books on May 1st, not AAPC.

AAPC exams change to the new versions on January 1st, and you are allowed to use the prior year's books all year. It's not necessarily recommended, but you are permitted to use them.