Wiki car seat/bed testing

Best answers
I need some help regarding billing for car seat evaluations for inpatients over 28 days old or any outpatients. Currently there are no CPT codes that allow us to bill for this test for outpatients. The codes 94780/81 are for neonates can only be used for billing for in-patients less than 28 days old.

I am measuring HR, RR, and oxygen saturation level only every 30 minutes for the length of the test, from 90 minutes -3 hours depending on the amount of time it takes to travel from the hospital to the patient’s home.

The CPT to look for may have to be searched as an attended cardiorespiratory study rather than for “car seat study”???

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Janell

According to CPT Assistant (May 2015), since codes 94780 and 94781 are limited to neonates, 94799 - unlisted pulmonary service or procedure - would have to be billed for assessment of infants.

reimbursement for car seat/bed test

Thank you! Help is always appreciated!
Is anyone getting reimbursement for this code?

We are getting reimbursed for them. The code states neonates, but the description further states that these car seat/bed tests are done for babies less than 37 weeks so you can use them even if the baby is inpatient until 3 months or more. They are also done if the baby has respiratory or cardiac issues so they can be reimbursed for that too if baby is say 38 weeks. You can appeal with the detailed code description on find a code or the CPT guidelines..

Car Seat Test

I need some help regarding billing for car seat evaluations for inpatients over 28 days old or any outpatients. Currently there are no CPT codes that allow us to bill for this test for outpatients. The codes 94780/81 are for neonates can only be used for billing for in-patients less than 28 days old.

I am measuring HR, RR, and oxygen saturation level only every 30 minutes for the length of the test, from 90 minutes -3 hours depending on the amount of time it takes to travel from the hospital to the patient’s home.

The CPT to look for may have to be searched as an attended cardiorespiratory study rather than for “car seat study”???

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Janell

These car seat tests can be done prior to discharge of babies great than 28 days old if they were born before 37 weeks gestation and/or are less than 2500grams. You may have to appeal with the guidelines for the car seat testing from AAP or other sources, but we had gotten paid by insurance if not in the beginning, with appeal. Now that the 2019 description has changed it is better. These codes are bundled with intensive or critical care codes, but payable with the hospital care codes (99221-99223 and 99231-99233) and the discharge codes (99238-99239). The car seat test must be reviewed by attending and a separate note must be documented if it is billed with the discharge code. If the information regarding the car seat is included in the discharge note that that would be considered part of the discharge time.