Wiki Carriers charging for EOB copies

ollielooya

True Blue
Best answers
In working older AR accounts we've noticed that some insurance companies are charging up to $20.00 per request. Is this a "trend?" There's only been a few where the payer charges, but wondering if we'll see more of this in the future. These fees outweigh what some of the secondary claims might pay.

In working older AR accounts we've noticed that some insurance companies are charging up to $20.00 per request. Is this a "trend?" There's only been a few where the payer charges, but wondering if we'll see more of this in the future. These fees outweigh what some of the secondary claims might pay.

I have come across this and have had fees waived by raising a big stink. Ask for a manager and tell him or her that as far as you are concerned you have no proof of payment for the particular claim therefore you have no choice but to bill the patient. Just because the insurer issued a check (and EOB) does not mean it was delivered to your suite and deposited into your bank account. It helps if you explain you prove postings to bank deposits and are all but certain you have not made a mistake and that you have spent X amount of time searching your records and through your EOB's.

I know you didn't ask this but I feel compelled to add that you should never simply obtain an EOB to post a missing payment. If you are truly missing proof of payment for something the insurer claims was previously paid you should require a copy of the front and back of the check. Too often checks are misdelivered by the mailperson and accidentally deposited into the bank account of the physician next door.

PJM

Excellent advice and help. SO GLAD I asked this question. Bet it helps others too. Just goes to show that when a question is posted to the forum it can take awhile for key people to see and respond. Thank you Martin and Pam!

Since I am not in the provider office anymore I haven't been subject to this. In all the years I was, we never were charged for a copy of an EOB. I would say with certainty that if you're contracted it would seem unwarranted unless it was stated in you're contract. With everyone wanting everything electronic I am not surprised though. Every business is trying to operate leaner and eliminate as much overhead as possible. Paying someone to generate another (as far as their concerned) piece of paper, pay for postage, and mail it out is costly.

"All progress is precarious, and the solution of one problem brings us face to face with another problem." ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

Have a good day girls :)