Wiki CCI Edit Lookup for Surgery Codes

abazcoder

Networker
Best answers
Does anyone here still use the old-school NCCI Edit checking tool through CMS as your main CCI edit checking tool?
I'm talking about the free NCCI Edit tool that you look up one code at a time against all other CPT codes. (*See link below)

I'm asking because my current manager thinks that Codify is too expensive and doesn't want to invest in a more "advanced" CCI Edit tool
She tells me I'm supposed to use the old NCCI Edit checking tool that's available online.

I code for a busy Orthopedic hospital where I'm expected to code a certain quota each day and I don't see how I'm going to maintain my quota when I'm told to use an antiquated tool like the NCCI Edit checker (especially when I'm coding surgeries that involve 7 or 8 different codes that need to be cross-checked for bundling!)
Just wondering if anyone else is still having to use that old NCCI Edit tool, or do most employers provide you with Codify or some other Edit Checker that allows you to look up multiple codes at once.
I feel like I'm being set up for failure by my Manager.
Am I wrong on this or shouldn't a busy Orthopedic hospital be able to afford better resources for their Coders for CCI edit lookups?
Thank you all!

Does anyone here still use the old-school NCCI Edit checking tool through CMS as your main CCI edit checking tool?
I'm talking about the free NCCI Edit tool that you look up one code at a time against all other CPT codes. (*See link below)

I'm asking because my current manager thinks that Codify is too expensive and doesn't want to invest in a more "advanced" CCI Edit tool
She tells me I'm supposed to use the old NCCI Edit checking tool that's available online.

I code for a busy Orthopedic hospital where I'm expected to code a certain quota each day and I don't see how I'm going to maintain my quota when I'm told to use an antiquated tool like the NCCI Edit checker (especially when I'm coding surgeries that involve 7 or 8 different codes that need to be cross-checked for bundling!)
Just wondering if anyone else is still having to use that old NCCI Edit tool, or do most employers provide you with Codify or some other Edit Checker that allows you to look up multiple codes at once.
I feel like I'm being set up for failure by my Manager.
Am I wrong on this or shouldn't a busy Orthopedic hospital be able to afford better resources for their Coders for CCI edit lookups?
Thank you all!
The NCCI edits are built into multiple encoders and other coding software with several other benefits as well. They are a bit expensive, but they pay for themselves in productivity. You will never be efficient using the online edits. Just reality. I use EncoderPro and I can put in several codes and be provided with all coding conflicts within one second.

I have to disagree with your supervisor on the cost. Basic Coder is $274 per year and includes the CCI Edits - depending on where you purchase your coding books from and the volume, the cost is comparable or maybe a bit higher. One of the nice features is that you can print the CCI Edit results to help support appeals as well and it includes far more detail than you'll get from the CMS site. In terms of efficiency and simplicity of the tool, I think $274 per year is very reasonable.

The cost of an encoder clearly pays for itself. Don't forget Codify (and other encoders) supply more information than just CCI edits. RVUs, global days, valid modifiers, in depth descriptions, LCD/NCD lookup, etc. If these tools allow you to code ONE surgery per year more accurately, it has paid for itself.
If you supervisor's objection is the cost, look into other online coders. Most will have different packages. If you don't need all the bells and whistles, just make sure you do pick a package that includes what you need.