Wiki CCM

mrsrobinson525

Contributor
Best answers
I have some doctors wanting to use Z codes for CCM. Is this billable? I was thinking CCM required regular diagnosis codes for monitoring, but I wasn't able to find CMS guidelines stating this specifically.
TIA

Mrs. Robinson,:)
CCM Chronic Care management services that must be documented in the electronic health record (EHR) should be of patient has atleast 2 chronic conditions or more to last a year or so. Covered services include, but are not limited to: management of chronic conditions as example: DM, HTN, Dementia, Cancers, Arthritis, CHKD, COPD,Cardiac ,Etc. They should use this as first dx code not Z code. There are some case a Z dx code for primary use can be used as first dx. CCM includes management of referrals to other providers and management of prescriptions use Dx Z51.81 and Z76.00 if give out meds) and ongoing review of patient status. If pt disabled or depressed result in complicate care can use the CCM CPT codes All listed in pages 49-51 in the CPT manual yr. 2023.
Well hope this data helps you somewhat:)
Lady T

CCM Chronic Care management services that must be documented in the electronic health record (EHR) should be of patient has atleast 2 chronic conditions or more to last a year or so. Covered services include, but are not limited to: management of chronic conditions as example: DM, HTN, Dementia, Cancers, Arthritis, CHKD, COPD,Cardiac ,Etc. They should use this as first dx code not Z code. There are some case a Z dx code for primary use can be used as first dx. CCM includes management of referrals to other providers and management of prescriptions use Dx Z51.81 and Z76.00 if give out meds) and ongoing review of patient status. If pt disabled or depressed result in complicate care can use the CCM CPT codes All listed in pages 49-51 in the CPT manual yr. 2023.
Lady T
Thanks so much! I appreciate the information!

Lady T
Hello,

I have an NP that wants to start billing for CCM services. We want to make sure we document everything correctly. It is my understanding this is not a typical office note, so what is the best way to document the services related to the CCM services? Are you able to help me?

Thank you in advance for any assistance you can offer,
Valarie

Hi V Norman
They should be aware or able to verify patient, mode of treatment listed is video, phone call or face to face, add minutes talk with patient, get list of current vs past medical histories and last time inpatient & problem. Review meds but also about current visit of the assessment or dx then describe what is going on/or treatment. Also if referred by anther doc list his or her name too. List current complaint or if follow up on what issue.
If pt disabled or in chronic pain...list the medical reason (cardiac, muscle, depression, HTN, CHKD,HIV, ,G31 or F02, R54 ,back problems. Etc) List chronic problems and meds too. Try not to use unspecified dx use detailed dx in documentation.
If pt blind, hard of hearing, committed suicide once, amputation, autistic, in wheelchair, has pacemaker, crippled Etc..list this data too
Cannot bill Transitional case mgmnt. and Chronic care management at same time either.
I hope this data helps you
Lady T

Last edited:
Hi V Norman
They should be aware or able to verify patient, mode of treatment listed is video, phone call or face to face, add minutes talk with patient, get list of current vs past medical histories and last time inpatient & problem. Review meds but also about current visit of the assessment or dx then describe what is going on/or treatment. Also if referred by anther doc list his or her name too. List current complaint or if follow up on what issue.
If pt disabled or in chronic pain...list the medical reason (cardiac, muscle, depression, HTN, CHKD,HIV, ,G31 or F02, R54 ,back problems. Etc) List chronic problems and meds too. Try not to use unspecified dx be detailed dx in documentation.
If pt blind, hard of hearing, committed suicide once, amputation, autistic, in wheelchair, has pacemaker, crippled Etc..list this data too
Cannot bill Transitional case mgmnt. and Chronic care management at same time either.
I hope this data helps you
Lady T
Thank you Lady T,

All of this should be documented in a note or a care plan, correct?