Wiki Charging Office visit with planned procedure

gogden77

Contributor
Best answers
Can you file an office visit for a patient that comes back for a planned series of injections in the office? I say no but one of my physicians says yes?

Gayle

Can you file an office visit for a patient that comes back for a planned series of injections in the office? I say no but one of my physicians says yes?

Gayle

No you cannot as you will not be able to meet the criteria to use the 25 modifier. When it is a planned procedure, the medical necessity for that has already been determined. So you cannot charge for it again. If the patient has a new complaint unrelated to the injection, then you can have an ov
but you will also have a new dx.

Last edited:
Incident to

If a physician has face-to-face office visit that determines series of allergy shots is appropriate, would subsequent office visits for allergy shots be billiable as 99211 so long as all additional requirements for 99211 are met?

no you use the code for the allergy administration. You do not use the 99211 for a procedure that has a CPT code. All components performed are a part of the procedure including taking vital signs.