Wiki Cheat sheet help for coding spine surgeries in CPT format ? (ACDF, etc)

CoderinJax

Guru
Best answers
Hi,

I've searched all over the internet and I cannot locate a spine coding cheat sheet. Does anyone have one by chance?

I don't need the ICD-10 information, as I'm mainly looking for the CPT only side. I've seen several threads where people are requesting them via fax from other people, but the original posts are several years old. (So I'm not sure if those people are still active on here. :))

Does anyone have one that could help with 22551/22552/22554/63075/63081 type stuff? (fusions, corpectomy, discectomy, etc) Lumbar area would be great, too!

Thanks so much in advance!

morning Becki,

email me and I can give some info that I use from Karen Zupko seminars...... :cool:

Last edited:
Cheat Sheet

Hi,

I've searched all over the internet and I cannot locate a spine coding cheat sheet. Does anyone have one by chance?

I don't need the ICD-10 information, as I'm mainly looking for the CPT only side. I've seen several threads where people are requesting them via fax from other people, but the original posts are several years old. (So I'm not sure if those people are still active on here. :))

Does anyone have one that could help with 22551/22552/22554/63075/63081 type stuff? (fusions, corpectomy, discectomy, etc) Lumbar area would be great, too!

Thanks so much in advance!

Hi Becki,

I do different surgery areas but the back is giving me the most trouble. I just get so confused and the more I read the more my mind says your not getting it....lol How are you making out and do you have any suggestions?

Thank you
Cathy

Hi Cathy!

It IS very confusing, especially if you can't tell the approach in the actual body of the op report. I've had so many issues with how to spot in the records whether 63056 or 63047 were being done. (they're so similar, and if the Dr. never mentions pedicles, how can I tell 63056 was done??) I don't want to read the header part and code from there, since we're always taught that's a no-no. I can't say I'm really any further ahead than I was 2 months ago, haha... I am taking the COSC exam in April, and I've heard there are a decent amount of spine questions, so I'm thrilled (insert crazy emoji face, lol)....

I am in the same boat. Neuro was just thrown at me and I am trying really, really hard to make friends with it, but it is getting the best of me. Any "cheat sheet" that could help me would be great!!
Thanks, Sherry

Hi everyone! I have sent a few messages to those who were requesting a cheat sheet, offering what was given to me when I first started. I just realized some of you requested this a few years ago! OOPS! But if there is anyone else that needs one, feel free to reach out to me.

Biller

That would be awesome for you to share that cheat sheet...new to ortho spine surgery codes and any help would be appreciated!

Cindy...CPB

Cheat Sheet

Hi everyone! I have sent a few messages to those who were requesting a cheat sheet, offering what was given to me when I first started. I just realized some of you requested this a few years ago! OOPS! But if there is anyone else that needs one, feel free to reach out to me.

Can I get a copy of this Cheat sheet.

Thank you
Teresa

Hello my name is Maria can I get a cheat sheet as well I plan on taking my Cosc exam by the end of the year.

Can I please get a copy of the cheat sheet? Lwright1215@icloud.com

Cheat Sheet

Can I get a copy of this Cheat sheet.

Thank you
Teresa
I would appreciate a copy of it. Thanks! mcbillings9@gmail.com

Hi Cathy!

It IS very confusing, especially if you can't tell the approach in the actual body of the op report. I've had so many issues with how to spot in the records whether 63056 or 63047 were being done. (they're so similar, and if the Dr. never mentions pedicles, how can I tell 63056 was done??) I don't want to read the header part and code from there, since we're always taught that's a no-no. I can't say I'm really any further ahead than I was 2 months ago, haha... I am taking the COSC exam in April, and I've heard there are a decent amount of spine questions, so I'm thrilled (insert crazy emoji face, lol)....
I am considering taking the COSC test very soon. I am not very strong in Spine as the Orthopedic doctor I work for does not perform any of these. Do you have any tips or have found anything in the internet to possibly help prepare for the exam. I have the COSC Study Guide, this has some information about spine but not enough detail. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you

Hi
Can I get a copy of the Ortho Billing Cheat sheet please, this is my email address CarmelaF106@gmail.com, Thank you so much

can I get a copy of the ortho cheat sheet pls, this is my email address: CarmelaF106@gmail.com, I appreciate you, thanks

I would love one if you still have the sheet
kimsmith8879@gmail.com

Please note you are commenting on a thread started in 2016 and the "cheat sheet" mentioned was offered in 2018.
There have been many spine coding changes over that time. I wouldn't suggest using something outdated. In my experience in training others, I would not recommend a cheat sheet to code, this can lead to using the wrong codes and outdated codes. While it's a nice reference, it is always best to look codes up the proper way. I have seen it so many times where folks try to use and maintain cheat sheets, however if you don't update them and only rely on it, you will probably make mistakes. Cheat sheets are not a substitute for education, learning, and understanding the "why" behind what you are coding.