Wiki Chiropractic Coding

Best answers
I am looking for some clarification. I am working for a chiropractor who does the follow: Im not sure I agree with what he and the suppliers beleive that the cpt codes should be for the following services...Can someone help..

Thermography they code 93740 (I dont think its right but not sure what it would be)

Surface EMG they code 95999

Cold Laser they code 97140 or 97112

Foot bath they code 97033

Please give some input with documentation location so I may educate this provider acurately...,:confused:

Physical Medicine Coding

I currently work for a physical therapy clinic who just went through and board coding compliance audit. 97033 is iontophoresis each15 mins, this is a direct contact code meaning the provider must be face to face with patient., however its its more like a whirlpool foot bath, the code would be 97022 and would only need to be supervised, meaning a tech or assistant could perform the procedure. 97140 is manual therapy and again is coded in 15 minute increments when there is direct contact with the provider., 97112 is nuero re education used for movement, balance, coordination, posture, this too is a 15 minute timed code requireing direct contact by the provider.

Physical Medicine Coding

Oh I forgot 95999 is not approriate for a EMG....see your CPT coding book codes 95860-95872 your procedure should be within that range.....

Consider the ChiroCode DeskBook for specifics on coding for DCs. These codes seem like they are way out there. I think that all of the services you mention there are either not billable to a third party, or should be submitted as 97039 with documentation to try to explain the medical necessity. I would not expect any payer to cover the foot bath. Surface EMG is considered experimental, and the codes used for cold laser are just plain wrong.